Jun 1, 2009

Scandalous III

(A soliloquy)

“I had followed the Man for three years and some. He came into my boat one day and asked that I cast away out, to give Him space to speak to the crowd. After His discourse, He said that I should let my nets down again. Despite a whole fruitless night earlier spent and reluctantly complying, there was that huge catch that broke the nets. Undone, I had asked Him to leave but in reply, He asked that I and my brothers follow Him, to become fishers of men. We left our boats and followed Him.

We traveled all over the coasts and towns, and crowds would always gather. There was healing for the sick, the lame, the blind, the palsied and the mute, why even the dead were raised. He would cast out demons who hailed Him in terror. Some said He was of Beelzebub. With some loaves and a few fish, we had fed thousands in the wildernesses with balance left over. The crowds would come and not leave though His sermons, of parables were oftentimes difficult to understand. He said we were more blessed because we were given to know. He required us to give all to follow Him. The call to forsake all; our possessions, our families, life even to take up a cross and follow Him was clearly too much. Many left.

But we stayed. He wanted to know, who we and the crowds thought He was. I confessed that He was the Christ, the Son of the Living God, the foretold Messiah; the son of man, the son of David, whose kingdom would never end. He will deliver us and restore the Kingdom of Israel. And had he not chosen us twelve. I belonged in His inner circle.

Why should I not stay? I had seen the signs and miracles He executed. Even the wind and the waves obeyed Him. I had walked on water to Him at His invitation! At His command and commission, and in His Name, I was able to do powerful signs and miracles. Even the demons feared. Everything was possible, in His Name; everything done in His name. Yet He said that I should not be happy, only because, I had all this power? And there was indeed power. Did He not speak and teach with an authority, such as I had not seen before?

It was not so long ago that He brought us up a hill. We were tired and rested when suddenly we were immersed in thick clouds, and there appeared, the Master with two others, all in glorious appearance and bright shining apparel. That must have been it, or so I thought, that I had asked that booths be immediately constructed to honor all three, but a Voice from heaven thundered "This is my beloved Son, with whom I am well pleased; listen to Him." I reopened my eyes again and there was only Him. Mine own ears had heard the voice thundering from heaven. Did not heaven testify?

Was it not surreal; when we entered Jerusalem, the Master sitting on a colt that was readied for Him? The whole city came out to receive Him, resounding with Hosannas and palm leaves strewn across the paths. The reception was clearly fit for a king. Coming into the city, He wept, over an impending destruction of Jerusalem. Proceeding to the Temple, He cast out the merchants and announced that it also, would be leveled to the ground, one day.

It was all so tumultuous, His triumphant entry, in the tradition of kings, clearing the Temple, rebuked, challenged and standing down the authorities. Then He pronounced doom. A glorious entrance culminated with weeping. Prior to His coming to Jerusalem, He had repeatedly informed that He was coming here to be delivered into the hands of His enemies and that He would be killed? The son on the throne of David, whose reign will never end, foretells that Jerusalem, the city of David His father, will be destroyed? The Son of God, announces that the Temple of the LORD will be razed? This Messiah had determined to die? What Kingdom is this? That my earlier protestations were severely reprimanded?

It was the time of the Passover and before the feast, a dispute had arisen amongst us, as to who would be the greatest. Zebedee’s wife asked that her sons be seated on the left and right of His throne. The Master did a strange thing then; like a slave, He stooped to wash all our feet. I would have had none of it. But the Master chided, and taught us all, His own lessons.

At Passover, He spoke of a new covenant, of His body broken, of His blood and of a new Helper. He had given us a new commandment. There was some talk of buying swords and talk of betrayal. The notion of betrayal was reprehensible and we had all pledged our allegiances. After the feast, we sang some and retired to the garden. He again alluded that He would be struck down and that we would all run away. Even I would fail Him and deny Him, not once but thrice. I was infuriated at His allusion and declared that prison and death would not deter my following after Him.

He was troubled, wanted to pray and asked that some of us pray with Him. It had been a long day and being tired, I kept falling asleep. Then soldiers and the authorities came. Judas came with them. Pulling a sword, I managed to strike someone’s ear. He stopped me. I was told to put away the sword while He healed the person’s ear. I was ready to fight and die there if necessary, as I had promised, if that was what was required. But He quietly surrendered Himself over!

We all ran away, but I had decided to follow from afar. It was already early morning and somewhere in the distance, a cock was crowing. Amidst the turmoil, I was let into the High Priest’s courts and some silly servant girl had to ask if I was His disciple. Within the court, I observed all manner of accusations heaped at Him but He remained silent. They could not get witnesses to agree and when He again said He was the Son of God, the High Priest rent his clothes and then things became even nastier. They had slapped Him. They spat on Him, abused Him, mocked Him, and they ridiculed Him. It was a heart-breaking and confusing spectacle. My Master? My Lord? The Messiah? The Christ, the Son of the Living God? Where are His legions? His army? And His mighty hosts? Where is God Himself? He was an army of one.

It was cold so I warmed myself by a fire. Some other person remarked that I sounded like Him, that I was a Galilean follower of His. Then another claimed that he recognized me from the fracas. Being in the wrong place I denied ever knowing the Man. A cock crew. Then as eyes met, it was there, in His eyes. I had denied Him thrice before the cock crew twice just as He said I would. So? I was wrong. Again. I had failed. Again. Loud professions so often entangle.

They stripped Him naked and crucified Him the same day. He had already been badly flogged. They nailed Him down, and hoisted Him up, for all to see; a Roman execution reserved for the worst of criminals. They made sure, for Him, a slow death; the King of the Jews, cloaked in crimson, of His own congealing blood, wearing a crown of plaited thorns. Everyone was there. The whole circus. They tagged Him in three different languages, so that all would understand. Accursed on a tree, they challenged Him to come down from the cross, to save Himself. Can one unable to save oneself, save others? They waited, to see if any, or that God Himself will come to His rescue, if indeed He be the Son. What does the Voice from heaven say now? Everyone looked on, the Man, whom demons had feared. They defied Him, who called Himself the Son of God, the Man, who even the sea and waves obeyed. They lifted Him up, but on a cross.

Then You died. The Son, of the Living God, died, as You said You would. Who had I followed, for three years, and some? Ask me now, who do I say You are; a controversy? A stumbling block? Folly? Scandalous? ”



God bless.


/ckh

No comments: