Nov 18, 2009

Friend

Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends. Ye are my friends, if ye do whatsoever I command you. (Joh 15:13-14)


It was many years ago when I had both a friend, and a mentor. He taught me many things and was in many ways more of an influence than many of my so-called friends of today. He was a Hindu gentleman, holding high office in the Government of that day. An avid adherent of protocol, children around him were required to stand and address all the elderly as ‘Sir’ or “M’am”. Well-versed and practiced on both sides of the law and in the realm of political intrigue, I observed that in the discharge of his shadowy clandestine responsibilities, his works was characterized by practical amoral expediency. As my friend, there was never a harsh word or a raised voice. There was no need to hide and when threatened from without, he would always be there. It was safe, having him as my friend. I miss him, even till today.

One day, we seriously discussed the subject of friendship. I was in knots over what or who I deemed to be my friend. He impressed upon me; that if I was to have a certain number, of friends who would be true, exceeding the number of my fingers on one hand, then I would be a most blessed person. He ventured that a true friend, would stand by me, in any circumstance or state, who would continue being my friend irregardless of whether I am legally or morally right and especially when wrong, one who would be willingly to welcome and embrace me into his house and family whatever besides. Truly, I was hard-pressed to find even one that I could confidently ascribe as such. I have had fair-weather friends by the busload. In adverse times and circumstances, how quickly they would evaporate, and that itself is, in many instances, a blessing. Even the Psalms lament, of those who would eat together, only to stay and wait, mock and celebrate one’s downfall! If on the morrow we were to suffer from a diminished capacity; physical, financial, moral, or legal, where will our friends be found? The routine, tiresome reality of being a burden abrasively erodes all the romanticism of loyalty and faithfulness. For the few remaining, it would be tempting fate to expect them to stand by me, particularly if I would have deteriorated to become some despicable vermin of society. To be still welcomed into their houses and family? Wishful dreaming? Friends? Numbering more than the number of fingers on one hand? Pigs fly! At that point in history, beside him, I could not find or count another! Would even my own flesh and blood, qualify? Would I myself qualify?

But there is one, who is even more than my good friend had described. There is One, who laid aside His High Office, and humbled Himself to be a man. Someone who would stand by any other, in spite of any circumstance, station, or status, a friend, of sinners of whatever ilk. Someone not only prepared to, but who willingly laid down His own life, to accept on His own body, the judgment for all sin. Someone who died, so that we might live. Someone who not only died but defeated death by resurrection, to empower all to follow in His footsteps. Someone who could and would share the pain of human frailty, and continue to intercede and mediate on sinners’ behalf; the Man Christ Jesus.

Many of us know Him as our Friend. So often we confess, to wanting to become more and more like Him; to bear His image more and more. Are our friendships anything like His? We truly have a higher calling, even higher than that wished for by my long departed mentor.

Henceforth I call you not servants; for the servant knoweth not what his lord doeth: but I have called you friends; for all things that I have heard of my Father I have made known unto you.
Ye have not chosen me, but I have chosen you, and ordained you, that ye should go and bring forth fruit, and that your fruit should remain: that whatsoever ye shall ask of the Father in my name, he may give it you. These things I command you, that ye love one another. (Joh 15:15-17)

It is no small task being a friend. Friendship as exemplified by our Lord is a tough act to follow without His grace. Even more forbidding is His commandment, to love one another. May we receive His grace and mercy, to be conformed more and more, according to His Image and bearing His Name.

God bless.




/ckh

No comments: