Sep 14, 2011

A Refined Perspective of Change

Change is inevitable in our lives. Of course there are changes that we welcome with open arms and changes that we struggle to accept. Why do we struggle to accept change? I think it’s because we are habitual beings. When we become accustomed to our surroundings, we tend to become comfortable and most of the time complacent. Complacency can sometimes be dangerous because we tend to not strive for better things and higher standards in our lives. The same can be said of our Spiritual lives.

God places changes and different experiences in our lives so that we may grow spiritually and grow closer to Him. As I said, we sometimes embrace the change but I think most of the time we resist the change. I once shared on my blogpost that I was really eager to go overseas for my studies but to my dismay I ended up going to Singapore which was not my first choice. As most of you know, after being disappointed by the college in Singapore, I returned after only three months.

The three months I was there was such a whirlwind for me. I was really excited and hopeful to gain better education in Singapore because I was fed up with my college in Kuala Lumpur. However, ironically after only three months I found myself contemplating returning to KL to be back at the college which I desperately wanted to get out of. The whole time I was going through this I asked God “What are you teaching me?” “ Am I missing the big picture?”
Romans 5:3-5 King James Version (KJV) And not only so, but we glory in tribulations also: knowing that tribulation worketh patience; And patience, experience; and experience, hope: And hope maketh not ashamed; because the love of God is shed abroad in our hearts by the Holy Ghost which is given unto us.
When I decided to return, I realize that I had become a lot more matured and that my life is in God’s hands. A spiritual mentor once told me that we must always challenge ourselves to get out of our comfort zone so that we may experience growth in our spiritual lives. On hindsight, I think the stay in Singapore helped me depend on Him more. I found myself praying more regularly and spending more quality time with God. When you are out of the comfort of your home, you will tend to feel very lonely and that is the time you truly learn to depend on God because there is no on else around you that you can depend on. I also learned to be more independent and found that I could do things I thought I could not, with God’s strength.
Romans 8:28 King James Version (KJV) And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose.
Having said all these, we should learn to rest in the knowledge that even though there are always changes in our lives there is one constant that is God’s love for us. Regardless of good or bad changes, we can always depend on our Lord because everything is in His control.
Hebrews 13:8 King James Version (KJV) Jesus Christ the same yesterday, and to day, and for ever.
- Xin-Yi

Images taken from:
http://blog.malaysia-asia.my/2010/05/sabah-sunset-travel-photo-of-week.html

No comments: