May 20, 2012

Trials’ Lessons: Right Priorities

…Now I know that you fear God, because you have not withheld from me your son, your only son.” – Genesis 22:12b
A big part of the reason for the Lord’s testing Abraham at Moriah was to show him what he valued most in life. The question God wanted Abraham to answer was, “Do you love Isaac more than Me, or do you love Me more than Isaac?” And the Lord was prepared for the drastic test of taking Abraham’s son’s life if that’s what was necessary for Abraham to give God first place in everything. 

God also tries the sincerity of those today who claim to love Him (Matthew 22:36-37). Jesus was so concerned that we have our priorities right that He made this radical statement: “If anyone comes to Me, and does not hate his own father and mother and wife and children and brothers and sisters, yes, and even his own life, he cannot be My disciple”- Luke 14:26

“You shall have no other gods before me” - Exodus 20:3. Way back in Sunday school I used it tell myself, no way I am ever going to have other gods before God. I am not going to worship those man made statues. Only later did I realise the meaning of that commandment. There were just so many things in my life fighting that were fighting for that number 1 spot. At times I would tell myself, this is definitely not more important than God but when the time arose to give it up, I simply could not.

The road to perfection is never an easy one. Like a gold bar, we as children of God are continually refined daily by trials and suffering. Sometimes these trials reveal to us our true priorities in life and sometimes even, to show us how far we have strayed. Christ calls us to deny ourselves, take up our cross and follow him (Matthew 16:24)  

So in response, let us reflect today on the things that we value most in our lives. Are our priorities in line with that of God’s? If you were called today to follow God in some way that would cost you something, what would hold you back?
“But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well” – Matthew 6:33


- Alex Tan

Images taken from:
http://www.tootoo.com/buy-and_gold_bar/
http://blogs.ucanews.com/give-us-this-day/2012/03/09/abraham-isaac-and-joseph-joseph-koni-that-is/

No comments: