Apr 5, 2008

Brands & Trends

Hello eveyone, Ian here. Im here today to talk about why people are being too self conscious.

Haha yes vanity. As you know youth nowadays are heavily influenced by trends styles yes I know I am one myself haha.Girls are into fringes covering their hair and guys like me Ronnie and maybe Alex too are into our pants pulled down low.

Yes this is the current “in thing” and we are all following it.


As you know the result of this is vanity. I am a victim myself alongside Ronnie as you all know. Vanity is something you cant describe. It somehow just comes to you when you feel self conscious and walla! You see yourself staring at the mirror 15 minutes a day looking at you yourself and thinking “wow! I look good” and the list just goes on and on.


I know not many people are like that but somehow when you just get too caught with yourself you tend to do things like that. I had my experience. It was at the Curve in Mutiara Damansara. I was wearing my red hoodie and as I entered the building I got caught up myself getting all self conscious till I walked up the escalator that was meant for people to go down!. Me with my big head continued to walk and wondered why it never got up. Then my little brother yelled “Ian! Wrong place la!”. Yes at that point I totally like embarrassed myself. While girls looked on and smiled I got down took a deep breath blushed a lil and walked. Yes that was vanity. Sad isn’t it?. If you read Archie Comics you ll notice there s this character named Reggie Mantle. Yes he is the vain pot in the storyline. And in our church s youth. I am the vain pot. Haha. Trends are fun to follow but if you get caught up it cn affect you. I for one personally think im very brand conscious.


Alongside Reggie the current in brands that attract everyone are brands such as TOPMAN, Fourskin, Zara, Pull and Bear, Converse. Yes I have shopped at these places before accept for zara. Too costly. Honestly, I think prices have gone from 30 bucks for a shirt to 90 bucks. Yes and I am dumb enough to buy them. You know why? Because everybody just wants to fit in.


Its normal to try be in the “in crowd” but getting too caught up is just a waste of time. Believe me I know. My parents take one look at the price tag of whatever I have just bought and sigh. Yes money doesn’t come easily and we have to use it wisely that’s why I save my money then blow away on the things I want. Haha. Yes I know its quite dumb but I do that now. Besides that we all tend to follow the styles that current celebrities wear. Like Justin timberlake, he started the casual smart dressing which is a t shirt with a coat over it. Yes we do look smart but look at the price of a coat in any store you see nowadays. *BOOM* everything that s in your wallet disappears. Another thing is skinny jeans. Jeans that fit your legs. It is starting to become a big hit in Malaysia although it already has in the states. In our church Ronnie brings in new styles while I twist them to werid ones. That s not the point. These jeans can cost you up to 209 bucks. Yes, you can spot them at TOPMAN. Can you believe it? For a pair of jeans!. I haven’t bought them but I have bought expensive ones. If you re rich I cant blame you. But being a slave to trends can cause you to be vain, self conscious and also become very materialistic and let s not forget the money that you blow. Im writing this because I feel I am one of them myself. So take my advice so check out some of those stores I named. Then get back to me. If you can afford it then good for you!.

-Ian-



Ed: Warning! Do not buy stuff for the sake of being “in” . We love you the way you are!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

If you say must dress appropriately, y dun jz wear d same thing d whole time? Like a uniform. I know you'll say it's boring but we're not talking abt boringness now, rmb appropriateness? Isn't it appropriate if u wear d same appropriate clothing for until it is worn out??? Yea but if you're vain, you'll say, I wanna look different, I dun wanna wear d same thing again n again for at least several weeks. Many ppl dun really feel it but its there. I'm not saying anyone does it or wat la. Cuz you asked

Anonymous said...

Some ppl might not agree wit wat i'm gonna say next but nvm.

Vanity is sth like evolution, u do not bcome vain overnite. At first u might say okay i wanna dress appropriately (which person wud not do dat?). Next u wud wanna look nicer for wtv reasons known to u n God.

So, at first u started out wanting to be appropriate but little did u know that u became vain. I dare say it's like that most of the time..

Anonymous said...

Well, I do agree with you in terms of vanity being like evolution.However I think it is fallible to imply that it is like that most of the time.That kinda reasoning may not imply to everyone at every possible time.

To me, Vanity is born out of pride.I am vain when i am excessively proud of my achievements,my abilities,etc. And in this context It would be being proud or putting too much emphasis on the clothes we wear.

It could not be born out of wanting to be appropriate.

Anonymous said...

Not saying u r wrong but i'm introducing sth new la

Yit Mun said...

Ian,

Gud to note that u have learnt!

YM