Jan 27, 2009

Expectations & Disappointments

I think it was 2 Sundays ago when I heard someone speaking about expectations. We expect something from different people, when they fail to meet that expectation, it becomes a disapointment. Likewise, it is the same with me, Is it ok to have unrealistic expectations?

I fail to live up to God's expectations and I'm sure God must be pretty disappointed with me, but the main difference is that He loves me. It makes all the difference in the world cuz I get second chances to do it better next time round, but should I fail, He'd be there to gently restore me.

2 comments:

woodworm said...

Interesting. BTW, what gives someone the right to expect anything from another? If there is no right, there is no disappointment? To be unrealistic is to be presumptous, to say the least.

Failure to live according to someone's expectation is firstly a non-starter. Why should I live according to another's expectation. And what if he loves me, does he first have the right to expect? About second chances? it's a cop-out. First you prepare an exit for failure, then you propose restoration? Why did you not get it right the first time? Mistake or careless assumption?

TTDIGC Youth said...

You are absolutely right in your view that one simply does not have the right to expect. However, we believe that, as Christians, we are redeemed and by the blood of Christ. The act of redemption gives the Redeemer all rights over His redeemed.
I definitely do not believe in a God who sits wringing His hands in expectation. Such a deity would not be much of a God; but I do believe a Creator-God has every right over His creation.
Whilst I would agree that we should not live to someone's expectation, our relating to God is of a different dimension. We call our God, Abba-Father. I believe that a father will always have and allow room for his child's growth. It would be an abnormality for a father to demand precise and immediate compliance, especially in the area of love. I would submit that we all need to learn how to love, so "second attempts" may well be in order, if not expected. So it's not so much about restoration as opposed to education. In education, it is to be expected that one makes mistakes along the way. We learn from our mistakes.
Gbless.

/ckh