Jan 5, 2009

King Solomon

For as long as I can remember, I had always thought that Solomon had been most wise in his request to the LORD that he be granted wisdom. His request was:

Give your servant therefore an understanding mind to govern your people, that I may discern between good and evil, for who is able to govern this your great people?" It pleased the Lord that Solomon had asked this. And God said to him, "Because you have asked this, and have not asked for yourself long life or riches or the life of your enemies, but have asked for yourself understanding to discern what is right, behold, I now do according to your word. Behold, I give you a wise and discerning mind, so that none like you has been before you and none like you shall arise after you. I give you also what you have not asked, both riches and honor, so that no other king shall compare with you, all your days. (I Kings 3: 9-13)

Recently, whilst doing some reading, I was quite surprised to find that I may have been wrong all these years. Let me share the reading.

Then he called for Solomon his son and charged him to build a house for the LORD, the God of Israel. David said to Solomon, "My son, I had it in my heart to build a house to the name of the LORD my God. But the word of the LORD came to me, saying, 'You have shed much blood and have waged great wars. You shall not build a house to my name, because you have shed so much blood before me on the earth. Behold, a son shall be born to you who shall be a man of rest. I will give him rest from all his surrounding enemies. For his name shall be Solomon, and I will give peace and quiet to Israel in his days. He shall build a house for my name. He shall be my son, and I will be his father, and I will establish his royal throne in Israel forever.'(I Chr 22:6-10)

So from before Solomon was born, the LORD had so provided and promised David. The LORD had determined to establish Solomon and confirmed that He would be a Father to him.

Continuing on, consider what David said to his son,

"Now, my son, the LORD be with you, so that you may succeed in building the house of the LORD your God, as he has spoken concerning you. Only, may the LORD grant you discretion and understanding, that when he gives you charge over Israel you may keep the law of the LORD your God. Then you will prosper if you are careful to observe the statutes and the rules that the LORD commanded Moses for Israel…..(I Chr 22:11-13)

This passage suggests that Solomon had been so instructed by his father and that Solomon's request was pursuant to his father's insight and advice. His father had told him specifically, what he had to be mindful of, for success.

The LORD was pleased and had granted Solomon his request. It's a wonder, what the LORD was pleased with. The LORD had not only granted Solomon's request but surpassed it by adding riches and honor in His blessing. He was not only demonstrating His goodness in blessing Solomon but was simultaneously making good and honoring David's assurance,faith and counsel. We indeed stand amazed at the LORD's goodness and faithfulness to all His own.

Fathers of today are often described as moneybags. They are like bank accounts, good only for making withdrawals when there is a need for money or approvals. Some have commented that fathers do not talk, they grunt. How often do fathers charge the children of today? How many children are able to remember what their fathers even said? When was the last we parleyed? What have our fathers counseled recently? Would we pale when compared with the Rechabites?

All that becomes, is completely dependent on our heavenly Father's blessing, and honoring promises, some that our fathers have made, in His Name. Solomon's kingdom and affairs did not end quite well. And that itself is an irony, a contradiction, for how can the wisest of kings fall behind. If the wisest can fail, what prospect do mere mortals have? Did Solomon lose his wisdom or did he forfeit all because he had both forgotten and did not quite give consideration to both what his earthly father David, and his heavenly Father, the LORD had said?

I'd ponder, between being "wise" and being obedient, which should I choose? Is wisdom superior to obedience? How often, we'd think we know the better.




God bless.



ckho

No comments: