Jul 13, 2009

A Psalm of David

A Psalm of David. O LORD, you have searched me and known me! You know when I sit down and when I rise up; you discern my thoughts from afar. You search out my path and my lying down and are acquainted with all my ways. Even before a word is on my tongue, behold, O LORD, you know it altogether. You hem me in, behind and before, and lay your hand upon me. Such knowledge is too wonderful for me; it is high; I cannot attain it. (Psa 139:1-6)

The Psalmist describes an intimacy, a relationship that is enviable, sublime; an intimacy not quite appreciated, seemingly beyond our reach and human understanding even if one could have attained it !

I would hesitate to declare that the LORD, “ have searched me and known me”; at least not at my invitation. And we would wonder if the LORD is really that intrusive, to go where He has not been invited. There are many places, secret places, where I would rather not subject to open access and enquiry . Maybe that is why I have failed the extent of this intimacy. But it does seem a wee absurd, that the LORD would not be admitted to some places, if He be LORD indeed.

To think that the LORD “have searched” is also something just beyond grasp; why would He?

For you formed my inward parts; you knitted me together in my mother's womb. I praise you, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made. Wonderful are your works; my soul knows it very well. My frame was not hidden from you, when I was being made in secret, intricately woven in the depths of the earth. Your eyes saw my unformed substance; in your book were written, every one of them, the days that were formed for me, when as yet there was none of them. How precious to me are your thoughts, O God! How vast is the sum of them! If I would count them, they are more than the sand. I awake, and I am still with you. (Psa 139:13-18)

Consider, that the LORD would want to search and know ! What is man that Thou should consider him ? To up the ante, He planned and even wrote down; “every one of them, the days that were formed for me !” Tis not just me having some spot or relevance in the history of man, but that the days were formed for me. Should not this alone ignite our hearts and cause us to return to our first love.

We love because he first loved us. (1Jn 4:19)



God bless.



/ckh

No comments: