Oct 12, 2009

Good

And as he was setting out on his journey, a man ran up and knelt before him and asked him, "Good Teacher, what must I do to inherit eternal life?" And Jesus said to him, "Why do you call me good? No one is good except God alone. (Mar 10:17-18)


What do people mean when they describe another as “good”? A good person is; a decent person? a moral person? an ethical person? a truthful person? a reliable person? A just person? a compassionate person? the listing can go on. But that ‘good’ person may not be good to me! I may not be the subject or recipient of his goodness. As ‘good’ as he may be, he may not wish to extend his goodness to me for whatever reason. He simply does not have to.

What more if I was covertly his enemy, how about, if I worked against all his designs and thumbed my nose at him. What if I hold myself, free of any of his precepts or even refuse subscription to his idea of ‘goodness’. And if I would ridicule and mock his naivety if not stupidity and regard him to be a fool. What if I walked on my ‘one-way street’; goodness for me? yes. Good to any and every? No way. And what if we asserted that it is our right and our entitlement to received only uninterrupted blessings just so that we can go on our own ways! Anyone seen "Thank-you" notes by the ways?

Yet we go to bed every night, not knowing if we would wake up from our sleep. Whilst we are asleep, the entire universe is held together by His word. All our bodily functions continue uninterrupted, maintained and sustained at His goodness. All creation subsists, at His goodness.

The sun rises and the rains fall. The grass grows and animals feed. The air is renewed; new life is spawned every second. The planets spin and have been spinning for millenniums? but hold their place in the heavens. All creation waits at His hand. He does not favor only the pious or the moral or the deserving. There is no partiality in Him. Whoever we consider, the good, the bad, the ugly, and the damned, all receive from His hands, every moment of their days, in this life, His goodness from moment to moment.

It would be timely for us to spend some thought reflecting on the goodness of the LORD. Perhaps we may be blessed with a more succinct appreciation of what it properly means to be good. Maybe we would then understand why the Lord said, that there is none good but God alone. Perhaps then, we will rethink to describe ourselves as being ‘good’.

but God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us. (Rom 5:8)


May His goodness draw, our hearts closer to Him ,who gave His life, to show us His love, while we were still sinners. No one is good except God alone.

God bless.



/ckh

No comments: