Oct 20, 2009

Mercy

Mercy: The compassionate treatment, especially of those under one's power; clemency premised on a disposition to be kind and forgiving. Something for which to be thankful; the alleviation of distress by the provision of relief.


“I remember that early morning; the crowd was gathering, well before, to hear the great Teacher teach in the temple. He taught as no one had, with a power and authority that few could dismiss. So they all came, with anticipation to listen to this man, teach the Law of Moses. Not long after there was a commotion pouring a crowd into the courtyard. There in the midst of the temple, they cast down a woman caught in the very act of adultery. The Pharisees and Scribes challenged the Master for His disposal, questioning if the mandated penalty of death by stoning be warranted. It did seem strange somewhat that they were making such enquiry; was one greater than Moses or the Law, present? Were they not guilty of sponsoring one greater than the LORD? And if the woman had in fact been caught in the very act, why was her lover not summarily presented as well? Did not the Law curse, often on penalty of death, any who would not obey its dictates? The temple hushed.

The Teacher did not immediately answer, but they pressed Him urgently, as if they were more intent on entrapping a stoning for a different person for different reason. The Teacher stooped, and started writing on the sands. It was too far to see what he was about. They railed, and then He said “Let him who is without sin among you be the first to throw a stone at her." The tension in the air was palpable. They had come, and with vigor picked up stones, ready to dispatch, I am not sure who, that morning.

The woman lay on the ground; a pitiable rag-doll. With scattered hair, trembling with eyes in trepidation, she watched the crowd looking for who or what, I know not. Who was this woman? Was she a victim of circumstance? Of convenience? Was she indulgent, promiscuous, weak, passionate or deceived by sacrifice and love even? She was accused of adultery, not harlotry. It was out of love that she did what she did; only love for whom or what, I could not decipher. She lay there, despised, discarded, deserted, denigrated, desecrated, disillusioned, disappointed, denied, despondent, destitute, dehumanized and deceived. Could she have imagined her indignity, and slander, when she would be pelted till dead, for this, in recompense and exchange for her body and soul?

The silence was then punctuated by thuds; of stones dropping from the hands of men and women as they departed one by one. The Teacher continued His writing without comment till they had all gone. When there no-one left, the woman got up and stood before the Teacher. "Woman, where are they? Has no one condemned you?" He asked. She said, "No one, Lord." And Jesus said, "Neither do I condemn you; go, and from now on sin no more."

I guess I learnt the meaning of mercy that morning. Clemency from compassion for one cast down by so many and perhaps, even by the thing, called love.

I learnt, mercy for me, the other day. The setting was not quite so reverent. They had finally succeeded in casting Him out of the city, and strung Him on a cross. He received no mercy, not from men, not even from God. But as I looked into His eyes, I thought I heard Him say “ I hang condemned on this tree because only I can, for thee”.

And when He died,
A hardened centurion would confess,
As others round him, beat their breasts;
“Truly this Man was the Son of God”,
But still not enough, to be his Lord.
Still, He hung and died on that accursed tree,
Because only he could, bear away my sin, not me.
And though I will not walk away,
And in weakness I will always stray,
Still I am persuaded;
Before the day I came to be,
There was already,
Rest and mercy provided me. ”

But God, being rich in mercy, because of the great love with which he loved us, even when we were dead in our trespasses, made us alive together with Christ--by grace you have been saved-- (Eph 2:4-5)


God bless.

No comments: