Mar 22, 2011

Dating, at God's will.

For these recent years, many people have approached me to inquire whether I have court/date/“pak-toh” before. The answer is no. Then people will start probing the criteria of me choosing my life-partner or trying to match-make me with someone else (for fun) or ask me to change Church for ”better chances” to get to know people who are about the same age as me.

Waiting for the right one is always hard for most of us, especially in this world that progresses so rapidly. Many of my peers have chosen what they seem best but might not be in sync with God’s will. If you are courting someone, would not you intent to marry that person? If so, why should we court someone whom we do not want to marry? Some years ago, I read a book by Debby Jones & Jackie Kendall entitled “Lady in Waiting”. Until today, if I face with doubts or tests pertaining to boy-girl relationship (BGR), I’ll re-read this book. There’s also “I kissed dating goodbye” and many other good books in libraries or Christian bookstores. I suggest those of you who are also struggling with these issues to grab one of these books and let God speak to you!

When comes to the topic of BGR, some of us might just shy away. However, I find that it is essential for me to share how I go through these years of peer pressure and temptations. I must say that all these are real and we have to rely on God’s word and strength to resist the culture, peer pressure and temptation that meet us daily.

From childhood till adulthood, I have lots of crushes on someone and vice versa. Ever since I came to the Lord, I have determined to please God and thus I’ll pray to God every time I face such peer pressure and the attractive someone. Sometimes I would just awake from cold sweat after having a dream of that person and there I quickly grab the Bible or the BGR book that I used to read. Then, I will enquire of the Lord, whether he’s the right one or shall I wait for the right one still…Seriously, many years have passed and I am still waiting for the right one while busy serving at Church with no regrets :)

I did have questions, for example, what if my right one did not come (in view that I have gotten older and older each year ;P)? If indeed God wants me to remain single for the rest of my life, may God give me the courage and I respond like Mary (Luke 1:38, New King James Version) –
Behold the maidservant of the Lord! Let it be to me according to your word. I still trust that God has a plan for me, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give me a future and a hope (Jeremiah 29:11, New King James Version)
It is also amazing how God want to keep me from sinning against Him! Just lately the test came again and God has so graciously forewarn me even before I was and still being tested. God’s word is very clear in Joshua 23:11-13 (New King James Version)
Therefore take careful heed to yourselves, that you love the Lord your God. Or else, if indeed you do go back, and cling to the remnant of these nations (people who are not believer of our God) – these that remain among you – and make marriages with them, and go in to them and they to you….. But they shall be snares and traps to you, and scourges on your sides and thorns in your eyes, until you perish from this good land which the Lord your God has given you.
Seeing the impact of Christian unequally yoked with non-believer, I am sure you would not want to be one of them! I encourage you to ponder and bring it to God even before you step into any BGR. Fret not, God is forever faithful and He will not short-change us. :)

- Yit Mun

Images taken from:
http://datingsitesnz.net/
http://myreverence.wordpress.com/2010/01/30/i-kissed-dating-goodbye/
http://americanvision.org/4068/the-time-is-short/

No comments: