Apr 7, 2011

Emotional Immaturity

"One of the signs of emotional immaturity is that we are not able to distinguish between genuine difficulty and suffering and the vicissitudes of life. Bad weather is not suffering; traffic delays are not suffering. These are just part of life. On the whole, emotionally immature people are irritated or frustrated with those things that we merely need to take in stride as part of life on planet earth. They find minor inconveniences to be signs of great injustice against them. When it comes to these elements of our lives we merely need to bear with one another, bear with the weather and live in a fundamental posture of gratitude, humility and patience."
Quoted from Courage and Calling by Gordon T.Smith

A great wake up call to myself as I was stuck at major traffic jam. As if only I had plan the activities better, I wouldn't get myself in such a situation to begin with - should I be seriously be emotionally affected by such a trivial matter?

As spiritual growth is the main factor that allows God to mould our character and maturity, I believe we ought to ask ourselves have we been really working our salvation with fear and trembling?

Phil 2:12 -
"Therefore, my dear friends, as you have always obeyed—not only in my presence, but now much more in my absence—continue to work out your salvation with fear and trembling,.."
Should I be making a scene over how I missed a concert last night when children in Japan became orphans over a few seconds of earthquake?

Should I be deeply upset that my friends has an Iphone 4 when a man set himself on fire as he was pushed to the brink of desperation when his only source of living was taken away by corrupted authorities in Egypt?

Should I put a long and sour face over a girl who doesn't even know what true love is all when Penan girls in Sarawak are being raped and the rapists walk away Scott free?

Let us not thicken our bubbles anymore. Choosing to shy away these matters not only harm people around you, it ultimately harms yourself! If you're being so easily bothered over such trivial matters, what more about bigger ones? Let us identify the real suffering that Christ meant in His words.

So by all means, in obedience to the Lord, do know what our faith is capable of -

1 John 5:4
"..for everyone born of God overcomes the world. This is the victory that has overcome the world, even our faith."
God bless,
daryl 's u n d a e' heng

Images taken from:
http://www.problogger.net/archives/2008/11/14/are-rss-subscribers-worthwhile-if-they-dont-visit-your-blog/
http://ylovephoto.com/en/2009/11/25/bursting-the-bubble/

No comments: