Dec 21, 2011

Family in Prayer

As most of you know, I will be graduating soon. If you have read some of my previous blogposts, you would know that my college years have been relatively bumpy. Well to no surprise the last leg of my journey in college was bumpy as well. So this was the situation, when I returned from Singapore to continue my studies in Kuala Lumpur, I found out during the first day of class that I had to conceptualize and start up my own fashion related brand for my final assignment.

That means that after all the money my parents spent on my college fees, they now have to be investors for a business I have to create in order for me to graduate. I immediately thought that this was outrageous! I understand the fact that the best way to learn is to have hands on experience. But I really felt forced into doing something I did not want to do. Doing this was a real gamble because I felt that my parents would have to invest in something that I had no experience in doing and I feared that it would fail miserably. As usual, I was angry and bitter about everything concerning my college.

Throughout this whole situation, my parents remained very supportive. My father even told me to not worry about it and just do what I needed to do in order to graduate. Hence, I reluctantly came out with a brand concept for my assignment. Drawing inspiration from my niece and my sister-in-law, I decided that my brand will specialize in providing stylish nursing covers for mothers.

As I worked on my assignment, I was still feeling angry and honestly very worried about how I was going to accomplish creating my own brand and running a business. So I started praying and asking God to really help me with this. I even asked my Bible Study group to pray for me. Today, as I am about to complete my assignment; I can tell you that everything that has happened during these few months of working on my assignment is nothing short of divine intervention.
Matthew 6:33 But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well. (NIV)
I truly experienced God’s faithfulness as to the way He turns something that started off negative into something beautiful. Many lessons have been learned through this experience and I can say that this experience has brought me closer to God. The amazing thing about this is that God sent His children to help me in completing my assignment.
Psalm 34:4 I sought the LORD, and he answered me; he delivered me from all my fears.(NIV)
Let me start with the production of the products. I have a second cousin who is a tent maker in Cambodia and has been living there with her family for over 10 years. We rarely get a chance to meet up but amazingly we met up with her family when they visited KL in June. During that meet up, I found out that she was involved in a social enterprise in Cambodia that teaches disadvantaged women to sew so that this life-skill would help them develop meaningful careers and earn a living. I told her about my business idea and she responded by saying that they made nursing covers too and they would love to produce some for me. I was so happy and thankful. Having them make the nursing covers made creating this business so much more meaningful for me.

Besides that, from the design of the website to the buying of the web domain name God sent my friends from other churches to help me. As for the costs and numbers I had to work out for my assignment, a brother in church willingly helped me with that numerous times. Even the video that I needed to create for my assignment was produced by another brother in church. God truly answered my prayers even when I was feeling so negative about the whole situation. I would have never imagined that doing this assignment would bring me the joy of experiencing God in such a way.
Romans 8:28 And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose. (NIV)
So, are you feeling down or angry about something today? Bring it to the Lord in prayer and you will soon realize that everything good or bad that has happened in your life happens for a reason. It would also be great if you have brothers and sisters in Christ that can support you in prayer. Trust me it makes a difference.
Matthew 18:19-20 “Again, truly I tell you that if two of you on earth agree about anything they ask for, it will be done for them by my Father in heaven. For where two or three gather in my name, there am I with them.” (NIV)

- Xin-Yi

Images are taken from:
http://www.14ushop.com/haverlock/jim-journey.html
http://inewp.com/?tag=depressed-and-angry
http://www.copticbiblestudy.org/our-fellowship

No comments: