Feb 13, 2012

Forgetting what is behind - on forward!

I know that I’m a little late in doing this, but I thought I should take this opportunity to share about my meditation during last years’ youth camp for the benefit of those who did not attend. The theme for the camp was “Amazing Race: Family Edition”.

The focus of the camp was to teach us about our lives being an “Amazing Race” - that we are running for God while “Family Edition” represents the fact that we are running this race together as brothers and sisters in Christ.

The moment I found out about the theme of the camp, the first verse that came to my mind was 2 Timothy 4:7 in which Paul writes, “I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith.” This verse has been regularly quoted in church. Prior to the camp I had thought that I understood the meaning of running the race but I was wrong.

Before we left for camp, I was struggling with my thought life that had been compromised with many distorted and perverted things that I thought I could filter out. This was primarily caused by the excessive hours I had spent watching television throughout my life. I had been warned by my family and prompted by God many times to stop watching television but I ignored it thinking I could handle the information and images that I was receiving.

Until one day, I woke up and realized how desensitized and distorted my thinking had become and not to mention the many unproductive hours I had wasted spending my time in front of the television. I immediately asked God for forgiveness for my ways and for the sinful thoughts that have gone through my mind. However, I felt so much guilt for allowing my mind to be compromised to that extent and I started crippling myself with fear that God will not forgive me.

While I was going through this, I felt God telling me time and time again that He sent His one and only Son to die for me on the Cross and because of His ultimate sacrifice my sins are forgiven. Despite all the prompting, I still felt very guilty and I could not forgive myself.

During the meditation at the youth camp I finally understood the truth. The passage we meditated on was Philippians 3:12 – 4:1.

Not that I have already obtained all this, or have already arrived at my goal, but I press on to take hold of that for which Christ Jesus took hold of me. Brothers and sisters, I do not consider myself yet to have taken hold of it. But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.

Following Paul’s Example
All of us, then, who are mature should take such a view of things. And if on some point you think differently, that too God will make clear to you. Only let us live up to what we have already attained.

Join together in following my example, brothers and sisters, and just as you have us as a model, keep your eyes on those who live as we do. For, as I have often told you before and now tell you again even with tears, many live as enemies of the cross of Christ. Their destiny is destruction, their god is their stomach, and their glory is in their shame. Their mind is set on earthly things. But our citizenship is in heaven. And we eagerly await a Savior from there, the Lord Jesus Christ, who, by the power that enables him to bring everything under his control, will transform our lowly bodies so that they will be like his glorious body.

Philippians 4
Closing Appeal for Steadfastness and Unity
Therefore, my brothers and sisters, you whom I love and long for, my joy and crown, stand firm in the Lord in this way, dear friends!
The verse that struck me the most was verse 13 and 14 which says, “Brothers and sisters, I do not consider myself yet to have taken hold of it. But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.”

I was meditating on this verse while facing the swimming pool and it suddenly hit me that when Olympic swimmers swim, they never look back. For that matter, you will never see any athlete being distracted and looking backwards while they are racing on the racecourse. I never thought about the “Amazing Race” so literally before but it makes so much sense now. How can I run this race for God when I’m so distracted about my past? There is no way you can press on toward the goal while looking back. Therefore from that moment on, I told myself to let go of the guilt but to never forget the lesson.

To be honest, lately I have been slipping a little in my endeavor to totally cut out the television. We are such forgetful people and I am starting to find myself tempted and failing to resist temptation sometimes. So when I realize that I am slipping, I remind myself once again about the pain of going through that lesson and I ensue to switch off the television. Resisting temptation is not easy but I pray that all of us will continue to seek God’s strength to resist the temptations in our lives that take us away from Him.

On the other hand, if any of you are feeling the guilt of past sins, bring to the Lord in prayer and seek the help of a matured brother or sister in Christ so that they may be able to pray for you as well. After all, we are a family and we are in this race together.

- Xin-Yi

Images taken from:
http://sports4allfoundation.blogspot.com/2011/07/televisiongood-or-bad.html
http://olympicswimming.wordpress.com/

No comments: