May 10, 2013

Worry

Phil 4:6-7 NKJV
 
Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God; and the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.
Being a person who worries often, I would worry about numerous things in a day and my worries became so obvious that some of the Church members that I seldom interact could sense them.

After reading through the verse above many times, and went through some retreats that touched on the topics of “anxiousness”, “worry”, and “anxiety”, it has finally brought to my attention that I do not trust God
and insist that I would rather take things in my own hand.

Over the years, my worries has gotten worse and caused me to even worry about things that are unlikely to happen, forming out all sorts of imaginations in my mind. I realised that I tend to exaggerate things and cause little things to blow out of proportion.

When I started to work on my worries, I slowly understood what holy leisure means. Ever since then, I have been attempting to connect with God and bring my concerns to Him – to ask Him to help me to be willing to surrender my worries and to believe that He is in control of all things.

If it is your tendency to worry, may you bring it to God too! Cheers :)
Yit Mun

aka IP Man

p.s. “Holy leisure” is a specific term uses by Richard Foster in his book entitled “Celebration of
Discipline” and some of the young adults have attended a retreat entitled “Holy Leisure” last year.
It refers to how one can connect with God, despite the circumstances, and the connection with God
enables us to respond appropriately in all circumstances.

Images taken from:
http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/archive/01803/writing_1803264c.jpg

No comments: