Jun 13, 2011

A reflection of Song Fest



Hearing the title of this event - Song Fest, sure does bring back memories. Well you see, many years back at my younger days (sure makes me sound old right?) when I was 15 or 14, we had a Song Fest too. And after much persuasion from my group leader then, I finally gather up all my courage and thought, "okay lah, let's just give it a try and see what happens."

Forget not, at that point of time, I had not personally encountered the Lord in my life yet and singing these songs is merely like singing any other secular songs out there to me. I was paired with my good ol' buddy - Jason Ang Kah Wai. The song we sang? Jesus, lover of my soul.

We practised and tried to harmonize but with our very limited singing skills (sorry for speaking on your behalf yeah Jason but I'm sure you'd agree too :P) we could only come up with a really decent or "okay-okay" tune to present to our audience. And due to that, it made the both of us even more nervous and obviously, that'll affect our performance. But soon after our performance, I felt totally crushed by the other group's performance, a duet so great that I can remember every detail of how it went until today. Oh boy, can you imagine would I ever want to participate in the event like this ever again?

BACK TO PRESENT

After journeying with the Lord this far, watching all the bands that performed for the night sure did moved my heart. If only I knew and understood the real meaning of why Song Fest was organized in the first place only then would I knew how much joy would I have gotten then. God sure did put His mighty hands at that night and I believed that the event went up to His ears as an awesome sweet tune.

It wasn't a night about competing who can sing or play better.

It was a night where God is first and foremost praised above all Heavens and Earth , a night where bonds were made and miracles were shown of how one soul can lift up his voice and sang - Amazing Grace that saved a wretched soul like me.
Psalm 100:2
Worship the LORD with gladness; come before him with joyful songs.

Shout out to the many leaders and members who put their hearts into this. I really do hope and pray that this event also help sharpen and set the perspective of worship on a much deeper and serious level.

Ian Fan shared with me about his story back at RBS where when they were deciding which members should go up to be the musicians for worship and when the camp committee realized that many talented followers did not offer to play as they wanted to give opportunities for other to perform - they were given a lecture about how they should ought to give their best and talents to worship God! And I would agree that indeed, worship is no light matter at all.

May this further prompt all of us as well, at every session of worship, should we not give all our hearts, minds and souls into praising our Lord? He's very real and trust me, He's watching and listening. Don't you think it'll be really offensive and disrespectful when your whole family is singing a birthday song to your grandfather and you totally ignore and make a commotion in the midst of the singing? What more of our God?

I'll be looking forward to the next Song Fest and I believe too, it's the same for many of us!

If you want to watch the videos recorded for the night, kindly head over to our youtube channel at this link: - http://www.youtube.com/my_playlists?p=DC0159D040F93E14

Soli deo gloria,
daryl 's u n d a e' heng

Images taken from:
http://casadediospc.webs.com/apps/calendar/showEvent?calID=4122238&eventID=62932272

No comments: