Jul 27, 2011

In Christ Alone

Things so often do not go our way. People often disappoint and more often than not, things don’t quite work out the way we want them to. Invariably, we find ourselves complaining about such things. We are constantly absorbed in our personal issues and lives. Every day we hear of people complaining or ranting about their lives in some way, whether it has something to do with their family, friends, studies, personal issues – the list goes on and on.

Personally, I have become so accustomed to complaining and ranting about my personal issues that it has become absolutely normal. It has become a thing that I do every day. For instance, today itself I complained about my room being really dusty, the terrible traffic jam and the police road block on the way to uni, the lack of parking spaces when I reached uni, the jam on the way back from uni etc. I have become so preoccupied with myself that I have completely forgotten to be thankful for what God has blessed me with. Every day is a blessing and I take all He has given me for granted.

Last Sunday, the speaker spoke about the oppression of the people in Pakistan and how Barnabus fund was helping these people. I realized then how completely shallow I am. I felt more and more ashamed with every picture shown and story told. Here I am whining about my own petty problems when people are dying. Christians there are getting killed every day for what they believe in. They are getting jailed, shot and even burned alive. The speaker even showed us a map of “the United States of Islam”. The Muslims there have a World Islamic Mission in which they plan for the whole world to be Islamized within the 21st century!

The speaker also told us the story of Shahbaz Bhatti, Islamabad's minister for minorities, who was assassinated outside his home. Bhatti was a Christian and he was speaking out for what he believed in. This is a video of him hours before he was assassinated.



The Armor of God

Finally, be strong in the Lord and in his mighty power. 11 Put on the full armor of God, so that you can take your stand against the devil’s schemes. 12 For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms.

10

In Christ alone
I place my trust
And find my glory in the power of the cross
In every victory
Let it be said of me
My source of strength
My source of hope
Is Christ alone

There are so many things happening around us that we sometimes don’t notice because we are too busy with ourselves. So, just a reminder for us to keep persevering.

Let’s run this race and keep our focus on what matters most. God bless!

- Phoebe Lim

Image taken from:
http://bigthink.com/ideas/21246
http://www.menscosmo.com/tips-on-overcoming-a-breakup/

No comments: