Oct 13, 2011

Emo much?

Another thought came to mind as well while sitting there listening to C.L Goh's talk during the youth and parent forum for some time back now, many points that he brought up did make a lot of sense to me when I look back at my life in hindsight.

Believe it or not, I was one really bitter and sulky kid when I was 13. Many people didn't like me and likewise, I didn't like many people as well. I'd glared at people who picked on me, including my teachers and was really angry and confused with my life then. It felt really pointless.. so meaninglessly bitter.

And so it dawned upon me what Dr.Goh said. That if it's anything that needs more focus during the teen years would be sharpening of social skills.

All the "popular" guys and girls always had the best time ever then. Everyone talked about them, praised them and find it such a huge privilege to just even hang out with them. They were the richer ones, the more outspoken ones and had ranks of all sorts in the clubs and societies. While I look at myself, I was the sulky and bitter kid that no one wants to even go near.

But that's where I realized that God really wanted me to observe and understand how the mini society in school works and empathize with those who are quietly suffering in the "dark". Remember about the "identity crisis"? I can really agree to that as I've witnessed numerous people who are going through that right now among my circle of people I know of! They can't seem to grasp the do's and don'ts of social graces and they get so confused wondering where they went wrong to have so few friends in their midst.

More importantly right now is that as fellow followers of Christ, are we making that effort to make our fellowship attractive to those who seeks for love and acceptance?

CF didn't reach out to me.. not at all. In fact, quite a group of them were the popular ones. No doubt, it's a struggle for them to think "is it worth hurting my reputation to reach out to the "losers"?" But that's where our faith becomes real. Youth or CF is not a social club.. not at all.
Mark 2:17b .. Jesus said to them, “It is not the healthy who need a doctor, but the sick. I have not come to call the righteous, but sinners.
And that's where I do hope as well that as Youth of TTDIGC, we too can strive to welcome all who needs Christ in their lives. That we help others to work out in a phase of "surge of emotions" and not go through a difficult setback on their own! If there's any ways to make the "best" out of your school life - it's the way with Christ :)

For,

He teaches me to love and be compassionate unto others. So that when I speak and listen, I do with a heart to sincerely care and listen, not to show off and make insensitive statements.

He comforts me first even before I realize it. So that I don't go around expecting others to make my day and that I'll make a scene if they don't.

He guides me to guide others to Him. So that when people seek me for help, I rely not on human strength and wisdom but His.. and that ultimately, that they too will turn to Him. Forbid me not on being proud and think that I am where I am today because of my own efforts.

And always reminds me that no matter what I've done, I cannot make Him love me less or more. So that for all of my days, I know He will be there in my ways!

Otherwise, I'll be living a life of self-indulgence, pity and empty ambitions right now! D:

- daryl 's u n d a e' heng

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/CornerOfWoe
http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2010/nov/24/michael-gove-tough-targets-secondary-schools
http://www.garlandsofhosannas.com/2011/03/way-of-christ.html

No comments: