Oct 24, 2011

A God who calms the Storm

It was a cool evening and I decided to take a nap after returning from college. Halfway through my nap, I was awakened by panic stricken shouts calling out my name. The first thing that came to my mind was “ Oh no! The house is burning down! ”. I shouted from my room and asked what is happening. My mum replied and shouted “ Rae Anne is unconscious! ”. I immediately panicked and ran out of my room still wondering in my mind about how my niece who was perfectly fine before I went for my nap could be unconscious.

When I got downstairs and saw my sister-in-law anxiously running to the car with the baby in her arms, I froze up for a minute because the baby looked lifeless. Without any knowledge about what had transpired, I ran up to my sister-in-law who was now in tears to pray for healing for her baby. During times like this, there is really no one to look to but to seek the Lord.

We immediately rushed my niece to the hospital and while we were in the car I could see her moving her hands and struggling to open her eyes. When we arrived at the hospital we ran into the emergency room to seek help. As the nurses were checking the baby’s vitals, she started crying and at that point we were relieved to hear her cry. Even though we were at the hospital and had medical help, I knew that we were still not out of the woods. All of us were in tears when we were in the hospital because we still did not know how serious the baby’s injury was.

I only found out that my niece had a bad fall in the bathroom when my sister-in-law explained to the nurses and doctor about what had happened. The doctor immediately called for a CT scan so that we could see if the baby suffered any serious head injury. The CT scan revealed that the baby suffered a hematoma in her brain as a result of the fall. Hematoma can also be explained as a bruise so the doctor said that she had to be admitted to ICU for observation and hopefully her hematoma would heal on its own.

After getting the diagnosis, we knew that only God could heal Rae and give her a speedy recovery. As a family, we prayed for healing for Rae and trusted that the Lord would heal her. After staying in the hospital for three days, the second CT scan revealed that the hematoma in Rae’s brain had healed significantly and the doctor was very happy with her recovery. Rae was discharged from the hospital the Monday.

This experience has allowed our family to learn first hand that our lives are not in our hands but in God’s and that we must always depend on God no matter what. Having gone through something like that helps us to put life in perspective and appreciate the people in our lives. Beyond that, we were able to truly cherish the many blessings and support that our church family showed to us during this experience. We really appreciate the prayers, the visitations as well as the physical help extended to us. Knowing that we had our church family supporting us during this time was very comforting and revealed a glimpse of God’s love for us.
Psalm 107:28-30 (NIV)

Then they cried out to the LORD in their trouble, and he brought them out of their distress. He stilled the storm to a whisper; the waves of the sea were hushed. They were glad when it grew calm, and he guided them to their desired haven. Let them give thanks to the LORD for his unfailing love and his wonderful deeds for mankind.

- Xin-Yi

Images taken from:
http://photo.accuweather.com/photogallery/details/photo/49488/Cool+Evening
http://news.eastvillagers.org/2011/03/13/my-hospital-volunteer-experience/

No comments: