Jul 17, 2013

TTDIGC YOUTH MISSION SHARING


Evelyn Tan
13TH JULY 2013
http://www.gbaships.org/



Hello Church!
It is now day 3 at the port. We reached Pending, Kuching around 5pm on Thursday. We had the official opening yesterday, where the Sarawak state assemblyman (i think that's his title) and many other important people came. We were greeted by almost 100 people from different local churches putting on traditional costumes and dancing, as well as waving flags and banners that said things like 'Yesus' or 'Puji Yesus' or 'Jesus'. Many of our ships company were pretty surprised because we were given a lot of restrictions yet these churches were going all out.
I have many reasons to be thankful. Coming on board has made me realise how much Malaysia is in need, yet we are so blessed. I am thankful that OM ships have been coming to Malaysian soil for more than 20 years. I am thankful that despite all the restrictions, our ship's presence has been an encouragement to the local churches especially here in Sarawak. I am thankful that there are so many port volunteers. I am thankful that through this, our evangelism techniques and faith can really be challenged.
I would like to encourage our youth to join the port volunteer programme the next time the ship is in Malaysia. It is really a good opportunity and this time round the ship will be in Kuching for almost a month! The port volunteers are mainly college kids but there are some adults and even seniors!
I am pretty excited about my time here. Looking forward to the things God has in store for this port. Please continue to pray for this port, our country and the local churches. Tonight, there will be a youth event for youths from a local church. They're from a minority ethnic group and they struggle with their identity and self-esteem. All the bahasa speakers (crew members from Indonesia and Malaysia etc) have been asked to lead and take part in the event. 
I must say, I'm pretty happy to be a Malaysian  :) 
Hope that all is well!

No comments: