Jul 1, 2013

TTDIGC YOUTH MISSION SHARING

Evelyn Tan
1ST JULY 2013
http://www.gbaships.org/



Hello TTDI GC Folks!

At this moment, 1.34 am, the ship just started sailing (For about a half hour already) to our next port, Puerto Princesa, Philippines. Initially, we were suppose to leave at 7am yesterday but due to the storms, the coast guards did not allow any ships to set sail.

Subic bay was a nice port to be in. It was not just the environment but the people as well. On my last trip to the bars to do bar ministry, I met a 20 year old girl who was one of the dancers/prostitutes. She shared with us her story - she has an 8 month old baby, stopped schooling since she was 13/14 years, has an alcoholic father and gambling mother. She has two younger brothers and the father of her child left them when she was a month pregnant. For her, working in the bar is the only job she can get because she did not graduate from high school. She explain how she had a bad relationship with her parents but since the birth of her child, she has really began appreciating her mum. She is a really pretty girl and getting to know someone who was so close to my age, with such a background, makes me feel compassionate toward her. It wasn't like she was forced into this job by someone. She chose it because it seemed to be the only option she had. She once had a dream to be an air stewardess. As I spoke with her, I thought 'wow, this girl has so much ahead of her if only she could see that.'

We invited her to the ship the next day but she didn't turn up. Her name is Anna and I would appreciate if you could keep her in your prayers. I know i will.

The bar ministry in Buretta, Olongapoo is really amazing. The kind of stories these girls have to share is amazing.

Im getting a little nauseous as I type this. So I shall update you again when we have stopped sailing. The stars here are AMAZING!!

toodle doo folks!

No comments: