Sep 21, 2010

Give and Take?

Such a common philosophy isn’t it, from a human perspective?

I mean it’s fair, it’s reasonable and in fact some would say it’s even very caring because you first gave, before you take. Normally people take first and then, well, not even bother giving.

But let me challenge you with something greater than that.

You give and receive, not take.

Why?

When the word “take” comes into your mind and I ask you to imagine that action, how would it occur to you? Can I suggest maybe a slight attitude of selfishness comes in? Or a “it’s rightfully mine” gesture?

It’s like taking a lollipop from a small kid.


Or emitting an obvious strong aura that you expect a “thank you” or any form of appreciation from the things you’ve done for someone.

It’s forceful, it’s expected, and it’s as if you’re giving with an ulterior motive. Who likes that? Do you like that?

But how about receiving? If I ask you to imagine someone receiving something, you can immediately picture a person that bows in a humble gesture receiving something from another in the greatest, genuine form of gratitude.

You can imagine that person who is receiving reacting as though he or she did not expect it all or saw it coming; or more than that, that person shows in all humility as though that person doesn’t deserve that gift and in fact responds with the fullest form of gratitude and thankfulness. Don’t you want to just give more to this person? ;)

Back years ago when I was first convicted that Jesus is my Lord and Saviour, I thought I understood what it means to give my life to Him. I stopped cursing, I never lied and I wanted to serve my parents with all that I can give. But I had a grave error in my understanding in what it means to give my life to the Lord, I wanted to give and TAKE!

So I started cleaning the floor, wash the dishes, wash their cars and I did all of it without them even asking.

And then I expected it, I wanted to take, I wanted a word of appreciation. Or anything close enough to that.

It never came.


My parents behaved as though everything was the same, they seem to never notice at all that I’ve been doing all of that even without them asking me to do it. I was crushed, hurt and felt really foolish. Soon enough I gave all of that up and decided that it’s better that I just not give, since I don’t get to take.

Today, God brought me back from all that mess, from that all that selfishness. He told me this in the gospel from Saint Matthew 16 :25 :

“For whoever wants to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for me will find it.”

When I had the mentality of “give and take”, it was clear I was trying to take to save my life, to nourish myself with benefits that I see fit and best to enjoy. But God asked me to lose it, for His sake.

Today I wash the dishes every other time without fail the moment I see there are dirty dishes to wash, I wash the car every other time when I see that it’s dirty. I even clean the floor when my mum’s busy with something else.

Did my parents notice it? I doubt it. Especially my dad, he even scolded me for not washing clean enough and that my room needs cleaning also. Can you imagine the feeling of unappreciated and added with oil of demand after all you’ve done voluntarily?

I never gave up, I brought up to God and tell Him “I’m losing my life for Your sake and I’m only losing this little, should I have any reason to bargain with You upon receiving such priceless, undeserving and abundant Grace from You?”


And truly I received, I received spiritual richness. To know what it means to truly give a gift. To know what It means to truly serve and to know what it means to love someone unconditionally. Above all, to know what it means to serve Your Master, Jesus Christ.

Would you give and receive or give and take?

I’ll pick the first choice, though if you find it hard to do that, then obviously you’ve been doing with your own strength and with that you will surely fail. Pray all you need pray, listen all that you need to listen from God and you simply obey. That you will surely not fail for God is a God of providence, He will surely provide!

Psalm 9:10
“And those who know your name put their trust in you,
for you, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek you.”


God bless .
Gary "b l i s s" Heng

Images taken from:

http://www.vam.ac.uk/vastatic/microsites/giveandtake/
http://s648.photobucket.com/albums/uu210/M4rla_/?action=view&current=lollipop.jpg&mediafilter=images
http://www.gettyimages.com/detail/78390130
https://www.mentalfloss.com/blogs/archives/2841

http://www.yardflex.com/archives/2010_03.html

No comments: