Sep 16, 2010

God's Sovereignty


You probably know by now that life doesn’t always go our way. But the funny thing about us is that no matter how much we know that statement is true, we still live our lives as if we’re in total control. So, when things don’t go our way we immediately start to flip out, at least that’s what I do. However, God in His merciful ways makes certain things happen in our lives for our own good and we have to always keep that in mind.

Ever since I was 16, I was very sure about my future plans in terms of what I was going to study. My plans went on relatively smooth till it came time to apply to go overseas for my third year. You see for the past two years, I worked really hard to make sure I had good grades so that I’ll be able to go to a more prestigious university.


Well, things didn’t really go my way. Due to circumstances I had no choice but to apply to the university that was at the bottom of my list. To be honest I was quite bitter about it and was drowning myself in self-pity. Being the emotional person that I am, I made sure everyone around me knew how dissatisfied I was. Which is incredibly unfair to them and it really made them disappointed and angry with me. I really did not know how to deal with my emotions and looking back now I was behaving rather childishly.

Jeremiah 29:11 tells us this:

11 For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.

The thing is we never know what God has in store for us but rest assured that whatever happens in our lives is beautifully designed by Him to build us up for His Kingdom. God wants nothing but the best for us. Even when you feel that the whole world is crumbling down around you, remember that God is always with us therefore we should fear nothing.

Philippians 4:4 also says:

4 Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice!


As for my emotion-driven behaviour, through this experience I learned that whenever I feel angry or overwhelmed by things that happen around me; I stop and seek God in prayer to keep me calm. Because you can never think straight when you are overwhelmed by your own emotions. When I seek God, I realized that a sense of peace is in me, at the same time God also teaches me to trust Him more. Most importantly I learned to rejoice in Him and be thankful despite of the unfavourable circumstances. Note the word ‘always’ in Philippians 4:4.

I know that my predicament at that time may not be as serious as the trials other people had or have to go through. But this experience reminded me to keep my eyes on God and realize that ultimately God is in control of my life. I do not know right now what God’s plan is for me but I am confident that in His time he will make all things beautiful!

- Xin-Yi

Images taken from:

http://www.geograph.ie/photo/22053
http://creative.ly/search/q/pinay?size=normal
http://www.gospeltemplemissionarybaptist.org/We_Believe.html

1 comment:

gary said...

Glad to hear that you managed to see God's goodness despite of how hard you must have worked and wanting to go to that particular university so badly. It must have been really hard on you then.

Indeed God is good!

=)